CIQS Job Bank:
Estimators (Marshall & Murray Incorporated) London, Toronto, Ottawa, ON
Established in 1982, Marshall & Murray has grown to be a leading force in the Canadian and North American Cost Consulting and Quantity Surveying industry. Based on our history of successfully completed projects and with our team of specially trained staff, we are in a unique situation to provide our clients personalized service, lead by our Senior Team Leaders, who apply a ‘hands on’ approach to each project to ensure that we assist our clients at every stage of the project from inception, through implementation and up to successful project completion.
Senior and Intermediate Estimators - M/E and A/S
London, Toronto, Ottawa
Overview / Job Summary
Marshall & Murray are currently seeking Mechanical/Electrical Estimators and Architectural/Structural Estimators for their London, Toronto and Ottawa offices. The successful candidates will be motivated, personable, and computer literate. Salary and benefits will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Roles and Responsibilities
The position responsibilities include quantity take-offs and pricing exercises for the respective disciplines across a diverse mix and size of projects. Some supervision of junior staff may be required.
Skills and Competencies
The candidates will need to have excellent computer skills, specifically Microsoft Excel and Word. Additional competencies with estimating software are valuable.
Education and Experience
Candidates must have graduated from a related post secondary program or have obtained relevant trade experience and must have obtained a minimum of two years relevant estimating experience. The successful candidates will be interested in pursuing further qualifications.
Please visit our website at marshallmurray.com to learn more about Marshall & Murray.
How to Apply
Please email a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, to the attention of John Fleming. Applicants will be notified if an interview has been awarded. Marshall & Murray reserve the right to test both mathematical and literacy skills during the interview process.
Release Date: 2017-12-07
Project Manager - Quantity Surveyor (CB Ross) Toronto, ON
CB Ross Cost Consulting Inc. provides independent project monitoring of construction mortgages and cost consulting services to the real estate industry (developers, lenders, etc.). We deliver reliable, reasoned advise as a key resource supporting the construction and development industry.
Project Manager - Quantity Surveyor
Overview / Job Summary
Act as Project Monitor, Payment Certifier and Owners Representative across a wide range of building types such as Hotels, Retirement Villages, High Rise Condos, Town Houses and schools.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Undertake site visits to value construction costs and ensure contractor billings are not overstated.
- Review change orders and monitor progress against schedule.
- Prepare payment certificates for monthly and interim applications, and release of holdback in accordance with the Lien Act.
- Review and summarize documentation required in the Lender's terms and conditions, including Architect's Engineer's conformity reports, Tarion reports, geotechnical and environmmental information, City approvals (site plan agreements and building permits), bonding and builders risk, and wrap-up liability insurance.
- Establish cost to comply with any regulatory requirements within and integrate costs into the overall project budget.
- Review contractor invoices and applications for payments to verify cost to complete construction loans. Gather and interpret wide range of data relating to cost, quality, schedule, insurance and summarize in monthly draw reports to the Lenders. Make recommendations regarding payment as necessary.
- Ensure full compliance with the Construction Lien Act at all times and manage holdback retention and release on construction projects.
- Analyze key components and project statistics to generate preliminary reports, estimates and budgets.
Skills and Competencies
Excellent spoken English and written skills, able to read, analyze and interpret data from complex technical documents.
Capable of working with current computer applications and software.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree from Canadian or foreign University in quantity surveying, building surveying or related field.
- Professional accreditation (RICS, CIOB, or CIQS).
- Minimum of 15 years of experience managing multi-million-dollar construction projects.
- 2-5 years of experience in loan monitoring in the Greater Toronto area.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in reading architectural, mechanical, electrical and structural construction drawings.
- Minimum of 10 years experience reading and reviewing progress against schedule, assessing impact on critical path, and interacting with all levels of stakeholders on multi-million-dollar construction projects.
- Minimum of 10 years of leadership experience in managing teams.
- Annual discretionary bonus, based on performance.
- Annual discretionary salary increase, based on performance.
- Medical/dental coverage.
- 15 paid vacation days.
How to Apply for This Position
Please apply via e-mail to email@example.com including your resume and any additional information you deem necessary such as letters of reference.
Telephone applications will not be accepted nor considered.
Release Date: 2018-05-28
Senior Commercial Estimator (Stuart Olson) Richmond, BC
Who We Are?
Stuart Olson has been positively impacting the businesses we serve, the communities in which we operate, and the lives we touch since 1911. Our rich history demonstrates our reach and diversity as an integrated, full service organization serving the commercial and industrial markets.
We are a $1.2 billion, fully integrated commercial construction and industrial services provider with offices in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Ontario. We deliver confidence through a client-centered approach that ensures the highest quality of service, reduces risk and delivers results.
Overview / Job Summary:
Reporting to the Estimating Manager, the Senior Commercial Estimator will be responsible for the preconstruction cost management of projects.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Support a culture that encompasses the highest ethical standards, and is aligned with the Promise.
- Participate in the project development activities to secure the project(s).
- Develop and execute a project strategy that meets the project’s required performance, schedule and profitability targets.
- Provide preconstruction services from the development of preliminary budgets, cost plans, value engineering exercises, start to finish of tender process and award of sub-contracts.
- Prepare tender documents and trade scopes prior to tendering.
- Work closely with the Project Manager in awarding of sub-trade contracts.
- Participate in project scheduling activities and provide input on achieving preconstruction activities.
- Ensure that preconstruction deadlines are achieved.
- Work closely with the project manager, site superintendent, owner, consultants, suppliers and trades to identify, develop, implement and support cost-effective project delivery.
- Attend meetings with owner and consultants and be comfortable to provide input at the meetings.
- Prepare and manage project budgets during design.
- Liaise with project manager and site superintendent and ensure constructability is addressed during budgeting and tendering.
- Identify, address and resolve issues and problems as or before they occur.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with client, consultants, suppliers and trades.
- Maintain the highest standards of professional ethics and integrity when representing Stuart Olson.
- Contribute current cost and productivity information to the company data base.
Stuart Olson Corporate
- Participate in corporate initiatives.
Skills and Competencies:
- Direct estimating experience of large commercial, high rise, civil and/or institutional construction projects $50 Million and greater
- Experience in conceptual Estimating - ability to visualize limited or lack of design information, make reasonable assumptions, do quantity takeoffs and provide budget feedback to the Client and Design Team
- Ability to cost out different schemes and options to provide Value Engineering feedback during the preconstruction process
- Ability to communicate with project team, subtrades, consultants and owner; understand the issues and be an active participant in the preconstruction process
- Ability to recognize and strategize to manage risks
- Experience working in a BIM/VDC environment considered an asset
- Ability to critique information and provide technical explanations
- Ability to forge, grow and maintain positive relationships
- Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously and meet the time demands of unpredictable activities; capable of handling pressure and challenges in a dynamic business environment
- Ability to work within tight deadlines and prioritization of work to achieve them
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, troubleshooting, problem-solving skills, and a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Highly developed interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and strong commitment to achieving goals; ability to work in challenging, fast paced environment
- Ability to work collaboratively with a positive attitude
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Supportive of a culture that encompasses the highest ethical standards aligned with the Company Promise
Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in quantity surveying or engineering
- Eligible for or have attained PQS, CET or P.Eng designations
- 10 years’ “hands-on” experience in the capacity of commercial estimator including a full range of project delivery methods including lump sum, construction management and design build
How to Apply:
Application Instructions: All interested candidates can apply directly to the position at www.stuartolson.com/careers. Only candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Release Date: 2018-04-18